Chinese New Year Celebration
9:30 am – 1:30 pm
Kung Hei Fat Choi! 恭喜發財! The CHS Chinese New Year celebration is this Saturday, February 24, 2018.
The host of Princeton Community Television http://www.princetontv.org/, Conversations with Lady Tea will be at CHS this Saturday. They will be filming our CNY celebration and interviewing us for a segment on their show! This will be a great opportunity for us to share our traditions and promote CHS with local communities.
If you NO LONGER OR DO NOT grant permission for CHS to use your or your children’s images, please fill out this form.
General logistic for the day is below:
- No need to bring school bag, but please bring a snack if needed. Snack bar is closed that day.
- We encourage your child(ren) to wear a Chinese outfit or any outfit in red for good luck! Don’t forget, you may be on camera!
- Arrive at school no later than 9:30 am. For those students who are part of a performance, please arrive at the scheduled rehearsal time as instructed by your class teacher or instructor. Students may drop off their coats in the classroom. Do not leave any valuables in the classrooms.
- Bring your child(ren) directly to the cafeteria for games.
- 9:30 to 10:30 am Game time in the Cafeteria – Parents are required to accompany their children during game time.
- Have snack (in the cafeteria) and take restroom break during this period
- Lunch ticket can be picked up from PTA during this time
- Chinese cultural craft items will be on sale for fundraising
- Game prize redemption booth is will be open during this time. Please redeem prizes before taking your children to their classrooms. The redemption booth will not reopen after the performances.
- 10:30 am Parents accompany their children back to the classroom.
- 10:40 am All students report to their classroom. Attendance is taken at this time. Teachers will give out red envelopes to their students. Line up to go to the auditorium. The auditorium will open for parents at this time.
- 10:45 am Enter the auditorium and be seated
- 11:00 to 12 noon CNY Cultural Program in the auditorium
- After the CNY Cultural Program, your child(ren) will return to their classroom for dismissal and pick up
- 12:10 to 1:30 pm Lunch and raffle in the Cafeteria
Click on this link for a slideshow prepared for you by our TAs. Enjoy!
CHS School Journal Calling for Articles
Our CHS School Journal is taking on a new look this year . We are seeking journal contributors. That means YOU (students, parents, teachers and CHS Staff)!
Materials may include and are not limited to articles written in Chinese and/or English (<2,500 words), CHS homework showcases, and videos/photos from CHS holiday celebrations and activities. Suggested topics range from day-to-day school activities, Chinese culture in general to recipes for Chinese cuisine or alike. Submit your articles/photos/homework showcase to School Journal Editor-in-Chief, Siu Kam at school-journal@CHSnj2000.org by March 10th. We look forward to your contribution for the upcoming March 24th publication.
CHS Ice Skating Event
March 17 • 3:30 pm – 5:00 pm
Join us for ice skating on Saturday, March 17 at ProSkate. Friends and family are welcome to attend. Tickets will be available at the door for $8 per person (includes skate rental).
Place: ProSkate – 1000 Cornwall Road, Monmouth Junction, NJ 08852
Date: Saturday, March 17
Time: 3:30pm – 5:00pm
Cost: $8, includes skate rental
Self Defense Class
March 24 • 11:00 am – Noon
Christopher Albanese, 4th Dan in ITF TaeKwon Do and 2nd Degree Black Sash in Wushu, will be teaching self-defense at CHS on March 24 from 11am to 12pm. Mr. Albanese is the head martial arts instructor at Legacy Life Center in East Brunswick. Students who sign up will be released from their classes at 11:00 am, after finishing their midterm. The class will be open to anyone age 7 and older. Attendees age 14 and older will be given the option to stay for an additional 15 minutes to learn more intense self-protection techniques. Cost for the session is $10. Sign-ups for Self Defense Class start March 3. Children cannot sign-up on their own, a parent must sign child(ren) up at the PTA table.
March 10 – BYOC Coffee Break
March 17 – CHS Ice Skating Event
March 24 – Self Defense Class
Please remember to check and read the CHS Weekly eFolder for important information! The eFolder is sent out every Thursday evening and is posted on the CHS Website. We are an environmentally friendly bunch and have gone more and more green each year.